NATIONAL ICE CENTRE
Historically, the National Ice Centre (NIC) was known as the Nottingham Ice Stadium and was built in 1939. It closed in 2000 and was demolished to make way for the building of the second public rink. The National Ice Centre was then officially opened on 1st April 2000 by Olympic ice dancing champions Jayne Torvill & Christopher Dean, who led the first public skating session in the new building.
The NIC is the UK’s first twin ice pad facility and centre of excellence for ice sports in the UK. It is home to the GB short track speed skating squad and Ice Locker, the UK’s biggest ice sports store.
Top class facilities and coaching staff for a whole range of ice sports are provided at the NIC, from synchronized skating to ice hockey and short track speed skating to figure skating. The Centre also runs a successful skating academy and is used as a training base by the majority of Great Britain’s bright young skaters.
The Lions, the NRG Fuel Nottingham Lions Academy and all of the teams within the NIHC (Nottingham Ice Hockey Club) are proud to call the National Ice Centre their home.